Qualification Description for Certificate IV in Beauty Therapy
The beauty care industry is one of Australia's fastest growing consumer industries, and the
number of Beauty Therapists is projected to increase dramatically by 2023, with about 25,000
This qualification reflects the role of individuals who work as beauty therapists to provide
a range of beauty therapy treatments and services, including lash and brow treatments, nail
services, make-up, massage and waxing. They communicate with clients to recommend treatments
and services and sell retail skin care and cosmetic products.
These individuals undertake work independently, with limited guidance from others, to
perform routine and non-routine activities and solve non-routine problems. They apply and
adapt technical skills and knowledge, and use judgment in the provision of beauty treatments
and services. These individuals are responsible for their own outputs and provide limited
guidance to others.
Work is typically conducted in beauty salons and spas.
No occupational licensing, certification or specific legislative requirements apply to this
qualification at the time of publication.
When you complete the Certificate IV in Beauty Therapy, you will have the knowledge and
expertise to offer a professional range of beauty treatments and services to your clients.
This course will also prepare you to start your own company or work in the industry. You can
learn small business promotion tips to help you succeed in a highly competitive market.
Learn New Skills
You will learn and expand your skills in the following areas through theoretical and practical course work:
- A range of massage techniques
- Facial techniques including exfoliation and facial massage
- Nail treatments including manicure and pedicure
- Skin analysis individualised to the skin type and concerns of your client
- Spray tanning
- Facials and specialised facials
- Retail and sales operations
- Eye lash extensions
- Lash and brows
Develop Your Telent
Polish and set your skills to get ahead in this industry:
- People skills to help clients feel comfortable and at ease
- Strong communication skills
- The ability to manage time effectively
- High levels of discretion and professional integrity
- Senior Beauty Therapist
- Freelance Make-up Artist at retail cosmetic counters, fashion and media sets, or photography studios